Manager of the Ellington Airport is a local Marshall Countian and has managed the airport since June, 1981. Improvements to the airport during that time include runway lengthening, new lighting, construction of a full length taxiway, ramp extension, new ramp construction, new fuel facility, addition to large main hangar, construction of 40 new T-hangers, implementing of GPS approaches, and land acquisition. During this time also, Mr. Derryberry has operated Big D Aviation, a full service FBO with fuel sales, aircraft rental, aircraft maintenance, aircraft rental, flight training, and aircraft charter.
The Ellington Airport began as a dream of Mayor Preston Hopkins and other civic leaders in the City of Lewisburg in 1959. Through the efforts and financing of the cities of Cornersville, Chapel Hill and Lewisburg and Marshall County and the State of Tennessee a site was selected on Highway 431 North, property was purchased and the airport was built resulting in a runway 4000 feet long and 75 feet wide with a 100' X 100' hangar with office space and a small ramp. It was grand opened in May of 1962. Since then the facility has grown with a 5000' runway extension, full length taxiway, two ramp extensions, 46 T hangars, another 100' X 100' hangar, medium intensity lighting, and satellite instrument approaches for both ends of the runway. This facility now sports: